QUALITIES OF AN AUTHENTIC PERSON…CULTIVATING OUR PURPOSE
“To be authentic, we must cultivate the courage to be imperfect – and vulnerable. We have to believe that we are fundamentally worthy of love and acceptance, just as we are. I’ve learned that there is no better way to invite more grace, gratitude and joy into our lives than by mindfully practicing authenticity.”
“Authenticity is a collection of choice that we have to make everyday. It’s about the choice to show up and be real. The choice to be honest. The choice to let our true selves be seen.”
Brene Brown – Author, Story Teller, American Research Professor – Graduate College of Social Work – University of Houston, TX.
Authenticity is about presence, living in the moment with conviction and confidence and staying true to oneself.
An authentic person puts individuals around them at ease, like a comforting, old friend who welcomes us in and makes us feel at home.
From my experience, there’s never any doubt or questioning the integrity of an authentic individual. Their behavior, in terms of ethics and morals, is as predictable as summer monsoons in Arizona.
What is important to realize when we’re looking to build relationships in life, we want to grow and learn from individuals values…which means it is important we identify and desire to find people who are honest, trustworthy and kind.
Authentic people are deep thinkers who generate thought power from within, and transpose it outward to add value to the lives of others. This requires keen emotional intelligence, being mindful of your thoughts, being careful of how your actions influence others.
In terms of purpose…your purpose may or may not be tied to your professional work. Your purpose is your life’s calling – your spiritual truth. It is the deeper questions which we beckon of ourselves – why am I here on Earth? Why am I born during this period of time and what have I come here to become?
I’m inviting you to cultivate and awaken the authentic person who lies deep within you and longs to be realized. This person has always existed, like Michelangelo carving marble to reveal the statue of David. Underneath the block of marble lies a sculpture waiting to be freed. The artist (you) is the conduit to allow this form to appear.
I invite you to think of your life in the same terms. Authenticity has a place to serve in our lives, to awaken us to the person we intend to be. It is always a work in progress and may take our entire lives to merge into that person, yet worth the effort.
When you experience authenticity it is possible for you to experience:
- Certitudes of your being or emergence of new realities in your being
- The dynamism of essential activities that give meaning to your life
- The life-giving nature of your essential bonds
- Openness to an interior awareness of a “reality greater than me”
Attitudes that support the on-going exploration of your authenticity:
- The desire to embrace your authentic truth and to live it fully
- The determination to progress toward freedom in expressing your unique self
- The humility to become aware of your qualities, gifts, limitations, and vulnerabilities
Three essential elements for authentic personal growth:
- Live-giving relationship that invite you to be who you are in the best of yourself. These are relationships that inspire you and awaken your desire to be yourself.
- Affirmation of your positivity identity and of your motivations to make decisions that are both coherent with your being and faithful to your deep conscience.
- Conscious awareness and direct experience of the realities of your authentic true self and its vitality.
Key Reflection Questions:
In the last 24 hours:
- When did I express living into my authenticity?
- How did I confirm and progress forward toward freedom in expressing my authenticity?
- Did I experience a fulfillment of being present in my day to work/life?
- What activities inspired me, or provided me a sense of purpose, meaning, peace, celebration, gratitude, conscious awareness of the realities of my authenticity and its vitality?
As you spend time with one or more of these reflection questions, describe your insights and discoveries and how you will integrate your new awareness of your authentic true self. Focus your awareness inside of yourself, to an area where you find calm and ease. Be gentle, locate a positive sensation(s), accept yourself as you are today and take all the time you need.
If you would like to explore, discover and celebrate your true authentic self, don’t hesitate to contact me at [email protected] or see my other contact information below: I look forward to hearing from you.