Want in on a little secret?
There are 3 super potent vitamins that are crucial for our health and wellness yet we often overlook them… Can you guess what they are?
I’ll give you a clue: they are all around you, don’t cost a dime and are accessible at any time of day…
That’s right! I’m talking about nature, fresh air and sunshine!
But first, why am I talking nature, fresh air and sunshine as vitamins?
Let me explain…
We are so conditioned to think that vitamins are something manufactured in a lab and labeled that we need to purchase in a bottle at a store that we forget to open our eyes and look all around us. Vitamins are everywhere!
Nature itself is a multi-vitamin world but it’s often the last thing we turn to for our vitamin fix simply because we are not conditioned to think of it as… nutritious. But it is… so hold tight while I go into more detail…
So what are 3 most underrated yet most potent vitamins?
- Vitamin N = Nature
- Vitamin FA= Fresh Air
- Vitamin S = Sunshine
Never heard of them before? Well, don’t worry because you have now!
Did you know that instead of exploring the great outdoors the average American spends most of their time stuck in stale offices and dark living rooms?
Even kids today spend 7 hours more on academics and 2 hours less on sports and outdoor activities per week than they did 20 years ago.
Well unfortunately, all this indoor living is devastating our health!
Research shows that children who get more “vitamins N, FA and S” have lower stress levels, more success in school, and fewer ADHD symptoms. And adults who exercise and socialize more in nature are happier people all round.
We all know that simply being in sunlight triggers our skin to make vitamin D, also known as the ‘sunshine vitamin’. Research has linked low vitamin D levels with depression, obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune disease, osteoporosis and cancer.
To make sure you have enough Vitamin D, be sure to get at least 15-20 minutes outside WITHOUT sunscreen. Why? Because sunscreen (high and low SPF factors) prohibits the body from making vitamin D by 95 %.
So in light of all this it is so important to get outside and get lots of nature (VITAMIN N), fresh air (VITAMIN FA) and sunshine (VITAMIN S)—these are super potent forms of food for our bodies!
How can I get more Vitamin N, Vitamin FA and Vitamin S?
- Make outdoor adult play mandatory—splash in puddles, throw snowballs, pack a picnic or catch fireflies.
- To avoid the typical 3pm slump, take a 10-15min walk outside and drink in fresh air instead of coffee.
- Try gardening! Getting your hands in the dirt is actually good for you—there’s a strain of bacterium in soil—Mycobacterium vaccae—that has been found to trigger the release of serotonin, which in turn elevates mood and decreases anxiety. No wonder kids already know that digging deep in dirt makes them happy!
- Move your kitchen outside—fire up the grill and make fun creations such as fruit kebabs, or if you have kids, let them personalize meats by brushing on sauces before cooking.
- Sleep under the stars—even if camping without a bathroom isn’t for you, you can pitch a tent or put up a hammock in your backyard!
What do I do now?
If you want to talk more with me about fun ways to get more of these natural, abundant and potent vitamins in your life, schedule a time to chat.
To your health!
Andrea Matteson MS CHC
Holistic Health + Lifestyle Coach
GLOW Holistic Health